English: speaking, listening, reading, writing, drama, ICT
English applies to all aspects of the school curriculum. Every day at least an hour is focussed on English but far more goes on throughout the school.
In all lessons some form of English skills will be essential. Children enjoy making connections between English and other subjects; it increases their motivation and improves their skills.
- to develop skills in all aspects of English
- to communicate effectively in school and beyond
- to express creativity and imagination
- to become enthusiatic and critical readers of all kinds of text: stories, poems, non-fiction, media
- to choose and adapt spoken or written words to different circumstances
English teaching aims at high levels of active engagement from the children. Skills are clearly targetted to raise standards using a wide variety of teaching approaches. The potential for enjoyment and creative understanding should never be forgotten.